Ciao! Sono a Milano!
The past couple days have been absolutely crazy, but in the best possible way. What does it take to get to Milan? a 12 hour flight from SFO to Frankfurt, 2 hour flight from Frankfurt to Malpensa, 40 minute train ride from Malpensa to Cadorna, 15 minute taxi ride from the station to the IES center. Whew.

The first 3 days were considered "Orientation Days" where we learned about the essentials of surviving in Milan. The first day, we ate at a bar (yes, all 100 of us) just next to the Duomo di
Milano. Watching the sun's red rays reflecting off the delicately ornate facade of the Duomo was really a spectacular way to begin my experience here.
The second evening, we went to a Day Spa. A bit random, yes, but nonetheless amazing. There were about fifteen different rooms with various kinds of water massage therapy, rest areas, sanas, buffet tables (complete with yogurt stand and bottles of champagne)! I could hardly believe I was in the center of bustling and industrial Milan!
Milano. Watching the sun's red rays reflecting off the delicately ornate facade of the Duomo was really a spectacular way to begin my experience here.
The second evening, we went to a Day Spa. A bit random, yes, but nonetheless amazing. There were about fifteen different rooms with various kinds of water massage therapy, rest areas, sanas, buffet tables (complete with yogurt stand and bottles of champagne)! I could hardly believe I was in the center of bustling and industrial Milan!
Aside from all these organized activities, I've already learned some really important lessons about assimilating into a new culture. For example, I've learned to not take myself too seriously and to learn to laugh at my American ignorance of Italian culture. The people are generally incredibly polite, patient, and friendly with "stranieri" especially if you try speaking a little Italian. So far, most the Italians I've spoken to have told me "Tu parli Italiano proprio bene!" even though I am definitely not the best Italian speaker. I've also really enjoyed living in the Collegio, because I'm surrounded by Italian students! How awesome is that? I made a couple Italian friends today during breakfast and dinner and really look forward to getting to know them better as well as meeting other Italians.
Also, through several experiences, I'm beginning to see some distinct differences between Americans and Italians:
-Italians like to stare. Not in a creepy way or even a judgemental way. I guess they're just a curious bunch of people.
-Italians really know how to put together an outfit. Although practically all of articles of clothing are the same as those in the US, the Italian people always know how to dress things up a bit more than us frumpy Americans.
-Restaurants and cafes are on schedule - you can't get panini any time of the day you want like in American delis, restaurants will not serve you dinner until at least 7pm, and the waiters will NEVER ask you for the check. However, they will quietly wait nearby, possibly tapping their foot if you are taking too long.
Finally (this is a long post!), I got a tour of L'Accademia della Musica. This building was really quite beautiful. Built in 1850, I believe, it had housed the Gestapo during World War II and had survived bombings during the same war. Old frescoes decorate the walls, classic corinthian columns support beautiful Roman arches, and to make it all the more wonderful, it's a place filled with musical instruments and musicians!
Well, I should probably sign off! I think the American students and I at the Collegio are going to go exploring the area around our dorm tonight!
A dopo!
YAY!!!! SO EXCITING!!!
ReplyDeleteoh boy i hope you're eating a lot... i wish i could with you :)
keep the posts coming - i love it!
I'm sooo jealous... I can't wait to come visit you!
ReplyDeleteI have a picture of the Duomo of Milan in my room! Now when I look at it, I'll think of you!
ReplyDeleteMuch love girly